Passport Music Export Summit: Apply now!
WHAT IS PASSPORT: MUSIC EXPORT SUMMIT?
PASSPORT: Music Export Summit will deliver intensive training sessions to prepare export-ready Canadian artists and music entrepreneurs with business skills and artistic product development to increase international trade and export market development. The project is aimed at self-managed artists and artist managers (along with other music company entrepreneurs active in artist development) who are export-ready or engaged in the process of becoming export-ready.
To assist export-ready Canadian artists and music entrepreneurs develop export markets and increase international trade.
Preparing your business for global release of product in diversified export markets.
Parallel events in Winnipeg and Halifax will provide participants with information and skills development on the topics of export market development and global release. The Winnipeg Summit will also include a stream for Indigenous artists/companies.
A follow-up Masterclass event at Calgary’s National Music Centre will be offered to select participants from the initial session, and will incorporate follow-ups of indivdual export plans, streamed live performances, and the creation of media assets for use in international marketing.
Participants must be available to participate in one of the following events. In the case of self managed bands, one member of the group will attend the Summit.
- Music Export Summit West – Winnipeg – February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit Indigenous – Winnipeg – February 21-25, 2018
- Music Export Summit East – Halifax – February 28 – March 4, 2018
Selected artists will be invited to participate in the Music Export Summit Masterclass. Full bands and artists represented by artist managers in the program will attend. The masterclass will include live performance, recording, and creation of media assets. Artist selection for the Masterclass event will be based on engagement and progress made in the Summit, confirmed upcoming export development activity (showcases, tours, etc.), and selection by international industry committee.
- Export Masterclass – National Music Centre, Calgary – April 8-12
Submissions will be accepted from export-ready artists and artist managers who are preparing for market development and export activities. Participants will have made initial inroads into international markets or are preparing for their first international showcase festival or tour in the coming 6-18 months. Participants will have taken part in foundational business training through their provincial music industry association, Canada’s Music Incubator, or regional music conferences, and have experience with basic administrative and music marketing tasks.
- Have a current release (released no longer than 24 months prior to the submission date) or an upcoming release in the next 6-12 months
- Be available to attend the events listed above
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be an artist or representative for an artist who is export-ready or working towards export-readiness. This can include experience with regional touring, success with music industry grants, significant radio play or sales on a previous release, award recognition, industry team members.
There is no fee to participate in the PASSPORT: Music Export Summit. Successful applicants will receive financial assistance for travel, accommodations and per diems.
Submissions will be evaluated based on:
- Rationale for how this program fits your export development plan.
- Export-readiness and track record
- Current team
Artist selection for the Masterclass event will be based on engagement and progress made in the Summit, confirmed upcoming export development activity (showcases, tours, etc.), and selection by international industry committee.